To paraphrase Mario Batali once the ingredients are loaded into your car the quality of your dinner is already decided – or something like that! So imagine the possibilities of greatness when being given access to all the special ingredients chefs use. This is the closest I have ever come to recreating a Jambon Beurre here in America that comes close to the ones Rémy adores in Paris – mainly because a lot of the ingredients are imported from France. Here’s your chance: This weekend’s open warehouse sale at Epicure Imports in North Hollywood. Think the closest we get to having an Eataly in LA – with more of a French leaning… Francoly? And to think I’m going to miss it!
Just in time to stock up and impress your loved one with gourmet treats such as Valhrona chocolates, pasta, legumes, lentilles, duck rillettes, olive oil, vinegars, salts, salami, perfectly ripe French cheese, slices of pale pink ham and cured Serrano ham, nuts, dried fruit, canned tomatoes, cases of Badoit, jars of Provencal jam and tubs of the finest Normandy butter… Plus Farm-raised caviar will be available on Saturday, 2/11. Caviar was a huge hit and sold out at the last sale, so if you are interested in purchasing this delicacy you are advised to call in advance and pre-order.
If you have not yet been to one of these sales here are my tips for getting the most out of this exciting experience:
1. Bring bags with you. They don’t bag.
2. Give yourself plenty of time – there’s a lot to take in and be prepared to stand on line for about 30 minutes to check out.
3. Go with an open mind and try new food – there are lots of chances to sample.
4. Take a sweater – its cold in the cavernous warehouse and even chillier in the cold storage room where all the really good stuff like cheese and sausages are to be found.
5. Know you will spend more than you expect to – but it’s a long time until the next sale comes around (about 2 months) and you need to stock up on all these temptations.
6. As well as buying for upcoming holidays (Valentines) Make a note of any birthdays coming up – a large can of virgin olive oil, a pot of Dijon mustard, some balsamic vinegar and a tub of Camargue fleur de sel makes the best present (and a really good salad dressing) for that hard to buy for friend who has everything.
7. Remember me, I would love a jar of the apricot or blackcurrant jam – it’s the most flavorful fruity condiment EVER – a little taste of summer and sunshine – and I’m all out! I’m also out of town for this sale but so happy to share this golden gourmet opportunity with you all.
8. Lastly, grab a couple of baguettes at Epicure and have some fresh salad waiting in the refrigerator to whip up a great feast when you return home.
Friday, February 10
(1:30pm – 6:00pm)
Saturday, February 11
(9:30am – 2:00pm)
6900 Beck Avenue
North Hollywood, CA 91605